Our virtual address and online mail management service helps expats and digital nomads with all of their mail and address needs before, during and after moving away from the UK.
Businesses and individuals are utilising virtual mailboxes for many different reasons, ranging from more flexibility over how mail is managed to protecting their real address. Virtual mailboxes are more than just a mailbox. You’ll have access to many different services that allow you to receive, send and manage mail from anywhere. Here’s what virtual mailboxes mean in the UK.
What is a virtual mailbox?
A virtual mailbox, sometimes referred to as a digital mailbox, is something that you can use to receive mail and parcels. As the name suggests, a virtual mailbox isn’t a location that you access or visit in person, and instead, everything is managed remotely.
How does a virtual mailbox work?
When you sign up for a virtual mailbox, you’ll be provided with a unique address to use for all letter and parcel deliveries. Your mail will arrive at this location where someone will receive it on your behalf.
A photo or scan will then be taken of your mail before being uploaded digitally to your account. You can then log in and view what’s arrived and take additional actions such as asking for a letter to be opened and scanned, requesting your mail is forwarded and much more.
What can you do with a virtual mailbox?
Virtual mailboxes provide greater flexibility over how mail is received and managed, as it doesn’t require individuals or businesses to process mail items in person. Our platform equips people with all the features and functionality needed to manage their post remotely for various needs. Here are some examples of what you can do with a virtual mailbox:
- Read letters online - We’ll scan the envelope when mail arrives, and if you’d like to see what’s inside, we can open and scan the contents for you to view remotely. You can even set up automatic rules so that mail is instantly opened and scanned on arrival.
- Store mail securely - Whether you need something stored physically, digitally, or both; we have a secure mailroom facility and encrypted digital file storage for keeping your items secure. We’ll hold on to your items for as long as you’d like us to.
- Forward letters & parcels - If something arrives that you need in person, such as an important letter or parcels, we can forward it to any mailing address worldwide. Just let us know where you’d like it sent to and your preferred postal method - we’ll handle the rest.
- Shred & recycle mail - If you no longer need a physical mail item, we can securely shred and recycle (where applicable) your post. This service is often combined with our digital storage feature so you still have an online version available if you need it.
- Organise digital mail items - Our platform allows users to create folders and add tags within their account, allowing you to organise and store mail items in an easily-accessible way.
- Integrate with cloud solutions - If you’re using cloud solutions such as Google Drive, Microsoft Onedrive, Evernote or Dropbox, you can integrate your virtual mailbox to automatically store mail items in the cloud.
- Set up automations - Create workflows and automations for inbound mail items, such as sending an email or push notifications when something arrives. This is especially useful for businesses that need to distribute inbound mail to relevant departments or teams, reducing the time and resources needed to manage the process.
- Send outbound mail - If you need to send outbound mail such as a letter or multiple items for a marketing campaign, for example, you can do this from your virtual mailbox. Just provide us with some information, upload a PDF, and we’ll post it on your behalf.
Who are virtual mailboxes used by?
Virtual mailboxes provide many individuals and businesses with an alternative way to handle their mail, and the reasons and types of people using them vary dramatically. Every account comes with access to all features, so it’s up to you which you take advantage of to suit your own needs and preferences. Below are some examples of the types of people and their reasons for using a virtual mailbox service:
- People living overseas - If you don’t live in the UK and need an address for correspondence, business purposes or other reasons, a virtual mailbox provides a cost-effective way to handle this without having to move here.
- People in temporary accommodation - If you have no fixed address, keeping on top of mail correspondence as you move between locations can be difficult. A virtual mailbox offers a single address that can be used while moving around without having to regularly update your delivery address or risk missing post.
- People who don’t want to use their home address - If you want to protect your real location for any reason, a virtual mailbox provides an avenue to do this. Use your virtual mailbox for all address purposes and keep your home location secure.
- People who travel often - If you’re regularly away from your home location, you may miss important mail items. A virtual mailbox allows you to take post with you on your travels, without having to pack it in your baggage.
- Businesses that want to centralise their mail management - If your company operates from several locations or has a remote workforce, a virtual mailbox provides a central location to receive and access mail from.
- Businesses that don’t want to use their own address - Whether it’s to protect your office location or you don’t want your home address listed publicly, use your virtual address to protect your business’s physical address.
- Businesses who no longer have an office location - For any companies that have moved away from their office, they can use a virtual mailbox for receiving all mail correspondence instead.
- Anyone who wishes to manage their mail remotely - There are various reasons why individuals and businesses seek a virtual address and a remote way to manage their mail. Virtual mailboxes offer a solution for any of these reasons while providing access to other helpful services.
How to get a virtual mailbox
Every virtual mailbox is made up of two components; a virtual address and a mail plan. You have total flexibility over which address and mail plan you choose, and some plans are more suited to different uses than others. Here’s what to consider:
- Virtual addresses - Some addresses are suited towards individuals, while others have additional features for businesses. Our pricing page offers guidance on the features of each address, so use this to guide your decision.
- Mail plans - These plans determine how much you’ll pay when receiving mail at your virtual mailbox. The more mail you expect to receive, the higher plan you’ll need. If you’re unsure on this, we offer a pay-as-you-go address which you can upgrade at any time if your requirements change.
When you’ve chosen your address, mail plan and completed our verification process, your account will be created. You’ll be provided with a unique address to use for all of your deliveries, and through our platform you can view and manage everything remotely.