This article will explore how to ship certain items in the post, the relevant rules & what you can send, including sending foods, drinks & other perishable items.
Our UK shop and ship service helps international buyers access goods and products from UK based sellers, along with some additional features and benefits. Many UK sellers do not ship across the globe which can restrict what items people can access, but with our shop and ship service, the restrictions are removed and anyone can access UK based products.
How does shop and ship work?
Shop and ship quite literally means that you shop and then we ship the products to you. There are a few extra steps that can be taken to improve the functionality of the service, but below is a breakdown of the process you’ll follow:
1. Get a UK virtual address
Many UK sellers have limitations over the locations they’ll ship to, meaning that in many cases, you won’t be able to use your home address or a virtual address located outside of the UK to receive items. When you sign up for any of our address and mail plans, we’ll provide you with a courier point address that can be used for receiving parcels. You can also opt to sign up for a designated parcel address which offers the same functionality, but is more suited towards users that expect to primarily receive letters.
Your courier point address will be based in the UK, meaning there are no limits on which UK sellers will ship here. The address you're given will be unique to you and isn’t shared with anyone else.
2. Purchase UK products
When you have your virtual courier point address, you can start shopping online in the UK at your favourite brands or outlets.
Whether it’s from luxury brands that aren’t available overseas, from an independent seller on a marketplace platform such as Etsy, or there are UK snacks and drinks you can’t get enough of; just enter your courier point address during the checkout process and your goods will be shipped to our secure mail sorting facility.
3. Receive your goods from anywhere across the globe
When your goods are shipped, we'll receive them at our mail sorting facility where they’ll be stored for 30 days free of charge. We’ll notify you to tell you that something has arrived for you, and from any remote location, you can manage your shipment using our platform or mobile and tablet app. You have complete control over what happens next, and you’ll be able to manage your parcels on a case-by-casis at any time.
When is shop and ship useful?
Shop and ship can be useful for a range of different reasons, from expats who want to access their favourite UK produce, to international fashionistas that have an interest in UK clothing brands; the reasons this service is used varies person by person.
Gift buying occasions
If you’re shopping for gift occasions, such as birthdays, national holidays or other celebrations, purchasing a UK product can be a unique gift to offer someone and expand the options you have.
Purchasing high-end products
Luxury UK brands and products hold worldwide renown for their quality and are recognised as premium goods across the globe. Whether it’s a treat for yourself or a gift for someone else, our UK shop and ship service offers you a secure way to facilitate shipping these items to your home.
Accessing exclusive goods
Access to exclusive UK products such as food brands and items from boutique stores may not be possible or could be expensive to deliver if you’re overseas. Through our service, you’ll be provided with an easy way to get items posted to your front door at a competitive price, meaning you won’t have to go without or pay over the odds.
What types of goods are commonly sent through shop and ship?
Our customers across the globe utilise our UK shop and ship service for different reasons and various products, some of the most common being:
- Mobile phones
- Wearable technology
- Tech accessories
- Amazon UK promotions
- Spa and bath products
- Baby accessories
- British designer brands
- Beauty products
- Specialty foods and drinks
- SIM Cards
- Kitchen Items
- Football merchandise
- British tea
- British dress shoes
What are the other benefits of our shop and ship UK service?
As the leading UK provider of virtual addresses and online mail management services, opting to utilise our infrastructure for your shop and ship needs offers several other advantages:
- Competitive shipping rates - We work with all major UK couriers, meaning you’ll have access to various shipping options and competitive rates when forwarding your parcel overseas.
- High level of security - The team that receives and sends parcels are trained to securely handle your mail items ensuring that your parcel is safe throughout the process.
- Free courier point address - We provide the address to receive your parcels free of charge, either as a single address or as an add-on to our other address options.
- Easy to use platform - Our platform and app means you’ll always be able to view and manage the mail you receive at your virtual address from wherever you are.
- Flexible mail plans - Our mail plans are flexible and come with various options, starting from a pay-as-you-go plans where you’ll only pay for the post you receive.
- Parcel consolidation - If you’re purchasing multiple items, we can consolidate them into one larger package to help reduce your postage costs.
- Guidance and support - We’ll guide you through the steps and information required for international shipping, and our customer service team are on hand if you have any questions.
Are there any restrictions to shop & ship?
You cannot use our shop and ship or any other service to receive or forward any prohibited or restricted goods. This is as per the guidelines of the couriers we work with, and if you’re unsure of what this means, please visit our prohibited goods and restricted items page.
How to get started with shop and ship in the UK
Getting started is easy; just follow the below steps and start accessing the UK market from wherever you are in the world:
- Visit our pricing page to view our different account options and sign up. If you’re only interested in shop and ship services, we recommend that you opt for the parcel address plan: https://www.ukpostbox.com/pricing
- Once you’ve signed up, you’ll have to complete our identity verification process to ensure that we have all of the information necessary to approve your application. Learn more about identity verification.
- When your identity has been verified, log into our platform or download our mobile and tablet application to see your account details, such as your courier point address which needs to be used as your delivery address.
- Start shopping, and check back into your account for updates on when we’ve received your parcel. You’ll then be able to request actions such as parcel consolidation or asking us to forward your mail to you.